If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Miami, then you could be entitled to claim damages for the injuries you have sustained; in addition to compensation for any damage done to your motorcycle. You are likely entitled to compensation for the medical costs you have incurred and the emotional trauma you have experienced as a result of the accident.
We believe that victims deserve legal recourse, especially when they have been injured in accidents that were no fault of their own. Keep reading to find out what to do if you are involved in a motorcycle accident – and how our experienced Miami motorcycle accident lawyer can help you.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Florida has one of the highest numbers of motorcycles on the road per state. This includes motorcycles, off-road motorcycles, and scooters. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are responsible for a staggering number of injuries that result in the permanent disability or even death of the persons involved in the accident.
The saying “never say never” is especially true for Miami residents that frequently ride motorcycles. Even if you have never been involved in an accident before, statistics say that frequent motorcycle riders will likely be involved in at least one accident in their lifetime.
What should you do after a serious motorcycle accident? Our experienced Miami motorcycle accident attorney can advise you on your next step.
Steps After a Motorcycle Accident
If you have been involved in a moderate to severe motorcycle accident, always make sure that you are following the right steps after the accident. Here’s what to do in the event you are involved in an accident of any sort.
- Assess the SituationFirst, take a moment to take in the situation and assess everything that’s going on around you. Shock is a normal reaction in the brain and body after an accident, and it’ll take you a second to compose yourself. Note the severity of the accident and the proximity of immediate danger, if any; also note any injuries that you or anyone else might have sustained.
- Secure Yourself and OthersRemove yourself and other people from immediate danger – for example, oncoming traffic or a fire. If you suspect that someone might have a fractured or broken spinal cord, wait for medical attention and do not move them unless the danger to their life is exceptionally greater than the risk of further injury to the spine.
- Call Emergency RespondentsThis step shouldn’t come after the last one, but rather be part of it. Someone on the scene should call emergency responders the moment the accident takes place, especially if the accident has resulted in severe injuries. Worry about safety first before you go ahead to access the scene.
- Document the EventWhile it’s a stressful situation to be in, you will want to take note of any important details at the scene. Note things like registration numbers and the severity of the accident. Note if there are any witnesses to the accident, too, this might be important later. At a later stage, your attorney can help you to put this information together to build your case.
Reasons for Motorcycle Accidents
There are many reasons why a motorcycle accident might take place on the road.
To name just some of them…
- You could be thrown off of your motorcycle and into the road by the winds created by a large vehicle such as an RV or truck that passes too close and throws you off balance.
- You could be pushed off the road by a car that overtakes quickly and carelessly.
- You could be hit by a drunk driver, unable to properly operate their vehicle due to intoxication.
- You could be struck by a distracted driver.
- You could be rear-ended by a car that doesn’t stop in time or claims they didn’t see you at all.
- You could hit a speed-bump or obstacle in the road and be thrown completely off balance.
- You could be hit by a car that ran through a red light or stop sign.
This isn’t an exhaustive list by any means, and there are many more reasons an accident could take place. Very few of them would be your fault. Don’t you think that you are entitled to some financial compensation if this has happened to you?
The good news is, you are entitled to compensation. Our Miami personal injury attorney can take a closer look at your case and advise you on what your next step should be to take your case forward. Set up a consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers today and let them help you.
Accident Prevention is Not Enough
The majority of people are exceptionally careful when they take to the road on their motorcycles, whether they’re taking a quick trip to the store or heading across country for a road-trip. They take every single precaution, including stopping at red lights, giving way to emergency vehicles on the road, and staying in the fast lane when they need to. But accidents still happen every day.
Even if you are the safest driver in your state, you can’t count on everyone else to be careful on the road. Accidents are called accidents because they are never meant to take place. They can happen to anyone at any time, and they don’t discriminate whether you have been having a good day or a bad one.
No matter how much you try to prevent them, you can’t stop an accident from occurring. But you can make sure that you have an excellent legal team behind you. Our motorcycle accident lawyer in Miami can take charge of your case to make sure that your voice is heard if you have been involved in an accident.
The Severity of Motorcycle Accidents
The odds say that it’s not if you are ever involved in an accident, but when. Accidents are an inevitable part of life, and there’s no telling when one might happen – or how severe the accident could be. In one scenario, you might be involved in a small fender bender with another vehicle and sustain some damage to your bike; in this case, you would be entitled to claim damages.
Or, you might be involved in an accident that’s much more severe – and could put you out of action for weeks, months or years. Some motorcycle accidents are severe enough to leave people disabled and affected for the rest of their lives.
Serious accidents cause victims to rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, surgery, and recovery costs. In these scenarios, the victim is unable to work and may lose their job. A serious motorcycle accident can be a tremendous financial loss to the victim.
If you have sustained a single cent of damage in a motorcycle accident, then you could be entitled to compensation for the damages. You could also be entitled to claim for emotional damages and medical costs at the same time.
Motorcycle Accident Legal Advice
Once the accident itself has occurred, it’s recommended that you seek immediate legal advice. This is to ensure that you have recourse for the damages and injuries that you have sustained as a result of the accident.
Our motorcycle accident attorney in Miami can help you to get a handle on the legal aspects of what happened, and they can best represent your case in court to ensure you get the remedy you deserve.
Set up a consultation with our motorcycle accident attorney in Miami today to find out where you stand with your case. Your consultation is free, and there are excellent attorneys standing by to answer any questions you might have.